Sunday, May 20, 2012

Realizations



This is one of the last pictures we took before the accident. This was taken at our house at our annual cookie party. I asked our pastor, Bro. Phil, to display this picture at church the following Sunday so that everyone would have a face to go along with a name when they prayed for Brad and his recovery.
It has been a little over 4 months since Brad's accident. In any given day there are many different emotions and thoughts that go through our minds. Today was the first Sunday that I can honestly say I wasn't mad, angry, or upset during the service. It was also the first service since the accident that I didn't cry through every song. 


Brad and I realize that we may never know the reason for his accident and we don't understand why God allows bad things to happen to people. The thing we do know is that, if we let Him, He will turn our situation and what we have been through into something bigger and greater than we could ever imagine or wish for ourselves (Isaiah 55:9 states, "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts"). 


My attitude turned towards this way of thinking about a week ago. I am trying to be more intentional in finding things to be thankful for and praying that He would open our eyes to all we have and all that He is doing for us. Since then, every day that I have prayed that prayer, I have been amazed at what He has shown us. Unexpected donations, peace of mind that construction is complete, Brad having the ability to drive again, looking forward to learning to play golf using adaptive equipment, just to name a few. 


This is one of the earliest pictures of us that I could find! I think this is our junior year of high school and we are taking the train to New Orleans with his mom!
My grandmother recently shared an email with me about a lady who wrote the 45 lessons that life taught her. One that really stood out to me is, "Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy clothes. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special." I have realized more and more how true this is. Don't put off 'til tomorrow, what you could do today. Let everyone know how important they are to you and how much you love them. 


I am so thankful that the day of Brad's accident I got to get ready for work with him and get one last "normal" hug and kiss before everything changed. My favorite memory from that day was him hugging me, looking down at me (like he always had being an entire foot taller than me), and telling me how pretty my eyes are. We both said I love you before I left for school that day; what better way to start the day! 


We have come a long way in 4 months. I am pretty sure we have experienced every emotion possible. Lots of sad days, but we are glad to say the good days far outweigh the hard ones. We have grown so much closer to one another and I respect him now more than I thought possible. He shares his thoughts, good and bad, about our situation and always realizes we have so much to be thankful for. Brad has been a huge inspiration to me, been so patient in learning a new way of life, and let me know how much I mean to him. Because of this, I know we are going to be OK.


This was taken about 2 weeks ago on our way to Walker's. Brad's parents treated us to dinner to celebrate Brad finishing his licensure exams and me getting my master's degree!







No comments:

Post a Comment